September 13, 2011

Purple dress is almost there





I have managed to get B5476 pattern all sewed up!  All that I need to do yet is the hem.  I have been letting it hang just to make sure I get a good straight edge.  I am hoping to finish it tonight so I can wear it to work tomorrow.  I will have Brandon take a picture of me so that I can share a modeled photo.
I cut a straight 14, which is bigger than I usually would have - especially in the top.  I decided to go larger with my growing front side, and I figured with the waist ties I can customize the fit.  When it is on it is a bigger fit than what it looked like on the envelope model, but I don't think it looks bad.  I should be able to wear this dress for a while during maternity.  So, my first dress was a success for my sew along goal of wearable maternity clothes!  If I can wear this after the baby is born it is another gold star on this pattern!
I am quite happy with the dress, how it fits, and how it went together.  However, I do not believe I would put "Yes, it's easy" on the front cover on the pattern.  This pattern was one of the ones that was on a wall display where all of them are suppose to be quick and easy.  I would not put this in that collection.  Like I mentioned earlier the rolled hem took some time to get it nice and even.  I know a while ago I would not have been able to do this.  Part of it would be from my old machine I was using that just didn't do nice and pretty stitches, had a foot pedal that was all or nothing it seemed, and also since I was newer at it I was still learning how to control all the things at once which ended up with a not so straight line.  It also had interfaced sections on the neck band and front rectangle on the chest.  Now, I usually don't have issues with facings at all but this one was not the most basic in construction.  For instance, the pattern told you to attach the neck banding to the bodice.  Then you sew the backed facing neck band to the already attached neck band right sides together.  Not so bad there, but then you slip stitch the already ironed, folded over, majorly curved seam to the inside neck band.  I don't think that a "stitch in the ditch" seam or that much hand sewing should be included in an "easy" pattern.  The pattern also has a lot of gathered sections.  I personally don't have any issues with it, but I do know some who have difficulty getting them nice and even for a non-homemade look. My other comment about the pattern was if I was a novice sewer, and only knew what the directions told me, I would have missed some critical points.  One important was the fact that they did not tell you in the patterns to clip the inside of the neck banding after you sew so that it will not pull on the curved seam. 
Now don't get me wrong, I like my dress.  I enjoyed sewing it, but I just do not support the easy on the cover.  I would make another and to me that tells me a lot of how I liked the pattern.

1 comment:

  1. You are a Sewing Machine! Doesn't look "easy" to me! They always underestimate the ratings ... and sizes. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete