November 13, 2011

How can work take most of your play time?

Sorry for the delay in posts.  That was not intentional!  With my full time job picking up and causing me to work extra hours along with being pregnant leaves very little energy to just get dinner going when I get home.  So, unfortunatly, the craft room has not seen as much of the cuddly cats recently.  It has also meant that the eight week sew along challege has passed with me only completing one dress.  I will just continue and make them to my own pregnant time frame!

While I have not been able to complete anything, I have been working on a New Look 6802 dress that I have modified slightly to fit me during maternity. I am doing the pattern as what the model is wearing, but with long sleeves.


I cut the dress a size 14 for the top out of a mottled brown/grey/and black sweater knit from Haberman Fabrics.  I am usually a size 4 on top and 6 on bottom in ready-to-wear, but the 14 was closest to my measurements when rounding up.  Since I know my chest and belly will be growing I errored on the side of large knowing I will shortly fill it in.  On the skirt front panel I also cut the largest size available and added about an inch narrowing to the hip line.  This added extra gathers to the front section for growing room.


I am finished with the body portion.  I have yet to set in the sleeves and and hem the skirt.  For modifications to the pattern directions I added a double bias tape on the neckline instead of a facing.  I am also going to modify the end of the sleeves to have little ties that will use the bias tape. 

The fit so far is PERFECT!  With the knit I am comfortable and not constrained in my belly.  The cut of the pattern is flattering for maternity.  I am hoping that after the baby is born I can remove the skirt and revise it to be a non-maternity dress that is just as flattering.

I will of course post a finished picture when I am done!

No comments:

Post a Comment