May 14, 2012

Change in plans

So earlier this month I posted this post about projects to make after I got my swatches completed.  Well, I decided not to do either one of them and do something else.  I thought I would try something new. Hairpin lace. 



The pattern is the Just Married Shawl published in the recent edition of "Crochet Today!" The majority of it is three sections of hairpin lace.  In the magazine there is a tutorial of how to do the basic hairpin stitch to create the sections, but it confused me and left me with more questions than it answered.  Luckily through several different YouTube videos I was able to see what I was suppose to do, and what was being talked about in the written tutorial.  I didn't have to go out and buy a frame since I had one from a major auction score that consisted of knitting needles, crochet hooks, large wooden embroidery hoops, a couple of store bought needlepoint kits

I have already completed two sections and should complete the last one tonight.  I have managed to figure out how to do the repetitive motion with Sylvia sleeping on my chest.  Last night she even watched me and became mesmerised with the motion of the frame turning.  She quickly fell asleep.  I am using Naturally Caron Spa yarn in the misty taupe colorway.  I love the way it feels, and the color is the beautiful warm grey.  The only thing that I don't like is that it splits easy with using the G hook the pattern calls for.  I haven't used this yarn before so I'm anxious to see how it wears and how the rest of the pattern comes together. 


And, of course, Darla had to get in on the photo-op of my hairpin progress.  She is also getting used to Sylvia and now keeps us both company during the day instead of hiding like she did before.

No comments:

Post a Comment